What precautions should my child take while playing sports?

If your child plays a sport, make sure that any equipment she needs is the correct size and in good repair. If the sport requires safety gear, such as a helmet, knee or elbow pads or a face mask, make sure that she uses it -- and that the coach or other adult who's in charge of the activity enforces the use of these items. You should also sign her up for a team that matches her abilities -- so that she doesn't get hurt or discouraged.

During practices and games, make sure that she has plenty of cold water and, if she's outside, is wearing sunscreen. Check to see that there are adults trained in CPR in case of any injuries. Game days aren’t the only time to have your guard up. More injuries occur during practice, rather than games, so make sure your child is wearing protective equipment anytime she is playing sports.
While playing sports, children should ensure they stay hydrated before, during, and after exercise. Children have a decreased tolerance to environmental extremes, particularly heat and humidity. This is due to their immature thermo-regulatory systems accompanied by a delayed response and limited ability to sweat in response to the heat and humidity. Intense exercise in these conditions should be limited to 30 minutes, including frequent rest periods.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?