Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent risks associated with riding but may not be aware of the acceptable and unacceptable behavior at some equine facilities.  They may assume their children are safe because they are around people who are knowledgeable about horses.  Thousands of children in the United States want to ride but their parents do not ride and have little knowledge regarding horse activities.  Parents should be educated on why their children must wear a helmet when riding a horse.  Not only should they be informed about the safety issue but on the correct type of safety helmet to purchase.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
Why is it important for children to sit in the back seat of a car?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
It is important for children to sit in the back seat of a car rather than the front seat because air...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?