Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent risks associated with riding but may not be aware of the acceptable and unacceptable behavior at some equine facilities.  They may assume their children are safe because they are around people who are knowledgeable about horses.  Thousands of children in the United States want to ride but their parents do not ride and have little knowledge regarding horse activities.  Parents should be educated on why their children must wear a helmet when riding a horse.  Not only should they be informed about the safety issue but on the correct type of safety helmet to purchase.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
What are some summer safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here are some summer safety tips. If you are planning to barbecue: If you are using a propane gas...
Could I suffer health risks from eating in my car?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Food, Inc. exposed the many health dangers of the fast-food drive-thru, but a recent study has ident...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?