What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
 Due to the litigious society that we live in, it is strongly recommended that everyone wear a helmet. Any person who has anything to do with the property or horse that someone is riding  needs to make sure the person is wearing an approved safety helmet every time.  If the rider refuses to wear one, he/she rider should sign a release and in the case of a child, the parent or guardian must sign. 
While adult bicyclists are not required by state law to wear helmets, young riders are required to wear helmets in only 21 states and the District of Columbia. Whether your state requires you to wear a helmet or not, be smart and be preventive. Every time you and your children ride a bicycle, choose to wear a properly fitted helmet. Wear a helmet approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

This content orignally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Protect Yourself Against Meningitis and Smoke Exposure
Q: My son is enrolled at a small college in Vermont and I heard that there was an outbreak of meningitis on East Coast college campuses. He’s had a lo...
Who is the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI)?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is also an independent testing lab that tests and certifies pro...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?