How can I keep my children safe in the yard?

To keep your children safe while in the yard and outside the house:
  • Use soft materials such as sand or wood chips underneath playground equipment.
  • Do you really need the trampoline? It's a huge source of accidents. The mesh walls are better than nothing but will not prevent all injuries.
  • Use fencing around the pool 100 percent of the time.
  • Keep all lawn equipment and chemicals locked up and/or out of reach. The same goes for guns, if you have any: Keep 'em locked up. Also, don't be hesitant to ask playmates' parents if they have any guns and if they're locked up.
  • Routinely inspect your son or daughter for poison ivy and ticks.
  • That barbecue can be hot. Supervise kids while supervising salmon -- and for a long time after, since the grill stays hot for quite a while.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?