How can I keep my children safe in the yard?

To keep your children safe while in the yard and outside the house:
  • Use soft materials such as sand or wood chips underneath playground equipment.
  • Do you really need the trampoline? It's a huge source of accidents. The mesh walls are better than nothing but will not prevent all injuries.
  • Use fencing around the pool 100 percent of the time.
  • Keep all lawn equipment and chemicals locked up and/or out of reach. The same goes for guns, if you have any: Keep 'em locked up. Also, don't be hesitant to ask playmates' parents if they have any guns and if they're locked up.
  • Routinely inspect your son or daughter for poison ivy and ticks.
  • That barbecue can be hot. Supervise kids while supervising salmon -- and for a long time after, since the grill stays hot for quite a while.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...
What is stalking?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Stalking is one type of intimate partner violence. It is very common for the victim to know his or h...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?