Is it unsafe for kids to use the Internet?

Almost every parent can cite the dark sides of these new temptations. The Internet can allow dangerous strangers or even sexual predators to contact children. Kids can face daily or even hourly teasing, bullying, or harassment from their own school peers via e-mail, chat rooms, message forums, and text messages. Many teens and even adolescents have engaged in “sexting,” which can range from dirty talk on text messages to e-mailing nude photos of themselves. The list goes on . . . and we haven’t even mentioned a subtler risk: All that sitting around while surfing the Net, watching TV, and sending text messages is helping to make our kids fatter.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?