Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?

Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that measure less than 4 inches in length. This size was chosen because small children are more likely to treat smaller turtles as toys and put them in their mouths. This ban prohibiting the sale of small turtles likely remains the most effective public health action to prevent turtle-associated salmonellosis. Despite this ban, such turtles are still found in some pet stores, flea markets, with street vendors, or sold over the Internet. In addition, children still catch wild turtles and lizards and bring them home to keep as pets. Whether purchased or caught in a backyard, a reptile or amphibian can carry Salmonella and might not be the best choice of a pet for your family, especially if there are young children or persons with weakened immune systems in the household.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
What supplies should women pack when traveling abroad?
Traveling abroad can sometimes mean a new set of personal hygiene and health regulations, but until ...
Who is the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI)?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is also an independent testing lab that tests and certifies pro...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?