Is eating a raw egg unhealthy?

Raw eggs that have not been pasteurized are susceptible to containing pathogens such as bacteria that can be harmful to humans. Eggs bought in the grocery store are usually pasteurized and therefore pathogen free, but you are still at risk eating raw eggs. In addition to the pathogen concern, an egg yolk, whether it's raw or cooked, contains a large amount of fat, which can be unhealthy if consumed in high quantities. This is the reason that people may use just the egg white to cook with.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?