Is it dangerous to practice during wind gusts?

Wind can be dangerous when it is strong enough to bring down trees, power lines, football goals, etc. Wind can also cause wind burns on the face and other areas of exposed skin. It can also make the temperature seem colder, especially when it is already cold (for instance, in the winter or at night), which could predispose an athlete to hypothermia and frostbite.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?