Is it dangerous to practice during wind gusts?

Wind can be dangerous when it is strong enough to bring down trees, power lines, football goals, etc. Wind can also cause wind burns on the face and other areas of exposed skin. It can also make the temperature seem colder, especially when it is already cold (for instance, in the winter or at night), which could predispose an athlete to hypothermia and frostbite.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Accidents, such as falls, sports injuries, fires and car accidents, are a leading cause of death. In...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Driving while drowsy is very dangerous. Recent studies have shown that sleepiness while driving incr...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?