How does wind chill factor affect outdoor activity?

Like the heat index, wind chill factor changes the way the body reacts to the outside temperature. If the wind chill factor is low enough, the athlete is at a greater risk of cold injury, such as frostbite, and needs to be monitored. Most weather-related Web pages will provide information regarding the temperature as well as the wind chill for your local area.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?