How does wind chill factor affect outdoor activity?

Like the heat index, wind chill factor changes the way the body reacts to the outside temperature. If the wind chill factor is low enough, the athlete is at a greater risk of cold injury, such as frostbite, and needs to be monitored. Most weather-related Web pages will provide information regarding the temperature as well as the wind chill for your local area.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
How can I keep my family safe around water?
Dr. Miriam S. Buckberg, MDDr. Miriam S. Buckberg, MD
To keep your family safe around water, keep these tips in mind before hitting the waves or the local...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?