How should I wear an athletic supporter?

It depends on the person, the undergarment, and the athletic supporter. Some undergarments have pockets or slits for the athletic supporter to fit into so that there is cloth above and beneath it. This provides a small amount of cushion between the sensitive skin and the hard plastic, while also holding it securely in place. Briefs or boxers can be worn underneath an athletic supporter with a strap. The fabric between the supporter and the skin will help absorb sweat and reduce chafing. The athletic supporter with a strap can also be worn against the skin, although this tends to be uncomfortable and causes sweat accumulation to the area, which puts you at risk for developing a fungal infection. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?