How can having water nearby help prevent fireworks accidents?

Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing

Having water nearby when lighting off fireworks can be beneficial if any of the surrounding area starts on fire, or if any embers reach the ground. The water can be used to suppress the fire and embers. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What are the most common summer injuries?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
The injuries that orthopedic practices see in the summer are usually related to being outside. The w...
Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?
A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore,...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...