How do vests help protect rodeo participants?

Rodeo vests are designed to prevent compression injuries of the chest cavity when a rider falls from a bull or steer in rodeo. They are effective in preventing puncture wounds and abrasions. However, there are no conclusive results that these vests protect competitors from a significant blow, such as getting stepped on by an animal. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
What features in a car are important for seniors to adjust for safety?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Newer vehicles have many features that can be adjusted for safety and convenience that are ideal for...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?