How does thermoregulation relate to adaptive diving?

Extremes in ambient temperature can trigger thermal regulation disorders in adaptive divers who have spinal cord injuries, whereas divers who have sustained a stroke or traumatic brain injuriy (TBI) may experience the disorder spontaneously or triggered by noxious stimuli. 

Some individuals with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), brain stem strokes and spinal cord injuries (above the sixth thoracic vertebra, or T6, level) experience problems regulating their body’s temperature. This can result in hypothermia or hyperthermia.

It is important to remind such divers to stay hydrated and keep out of direct sunlight when the environment is hot. Conversely, adequate insulation and staying warm and dry is important when diving in cooler weather or waters.

Additionally you should assist the adaptive diver in monitoring signs of hypothermia while diving in cold water or for prolonged periods of time. Individuals with thermoregulation issues should know to advise their team so appropriate precautions including sun protection apparel, coolants and wetsuits can be planned.

Also, be mindful that divers with mobility impairments, such as paraplegics and amputees, will often have problems regulating their body temperature due to a variety of factors. Their diminished musculature and circulation will most likely affect the capacity to maintain normal temperatures. Know your diver and plan accordingly.

Learn more in the book Diveheart Adaptive Scuba Instructor and Dive Buddy

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?
Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, ...
How can I keep my family safe around water?
You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating device...
How can I prevent injuries from falls?
Here are some tips on preventing injuries from falls: Use a soft landing surface on playgrounds (...