How can I tell if grilled meat is cooked to a safe temperature?

The best way to make sure meat is grilled to a safe temperature is to use a meat thermometer. Using the meat thermometer makes sure that the internal temperature is high enough to have killed off any unsafe bacteria. Cook all raw beef, pork, lamb and veal steaks, chops, and roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145° F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source.

For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. Cook all raw ground beef, pork, lamb, and veal to an internal temperature of 160° F. Cook all poultry to a safe minimum internal temperature of 165° F. Meat such as hamburgers can turn brown before they reach the safe temperature, so just cutting the meat in the middle and looking at it is not a reliable method.
Using a thermometer can help you determine if grilled meat is cooked to the proper temperature. See this handy, dandy chart for safe, minimum internal temperatures: http://bit.ly/KHhM1R

Happy grilling!

PS:  Don't forget to grill tons of veggies!
Meat and chicken cooked on a grill often browns very quickly. Use a food thermometer to be sure the food has reached a safe minimum internal temperature to destroy harmful bacteria. USDA recommends cooking all whole cuts of meat to a minimum temperature of 145 degrees F, and then allow the meat to rest for three minutes before carving or consuming. This recommendation applies to beef, pork, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts and chops. Hamburgers made of ground beef should reach 160 degrees F. All poultry should reach a minimum of 165 degrees F.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...