How can I tell if a grass field is unsafe to play on?

A poor grass field surface might contain divots, holes, irregular shapes, or excessive water accumulation, all of which have the potential to cause harm or injury to athletes who are practicing or playing on it.

Be sure to make coaching staff as well as maintenance staff aware of the conditions, and request that such things be fixed right away. An inspection of the field prior to the beginning of the season is necessary so that plenty of time is available for fixes to be made.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Working Against Gun Violence
Working Against Gun Violence
There’s a ban on smoking in most bars and restaurants in the U.S.; in most cities, there’s a ban on spitting in public; and in many states dancing on ...
Is it okay to flush medications down the toilet?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website maintains a list of some of the medications ...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?