How can I teach my child to stay safe?

On the road to adulthood, your child is bound to face many risks; showing him how to avoid avoidable dangers and prevent preventable injuries gives him a protective armor that he’ll carry with him for years to come.

1. Identify -- Evaluate where your child’s current safety habits stand and identify what precautions he needs to take.
  2. Inform – Let him know the risks he faces.
  3. Instruct  -- Teach him to not to overlook, underestimate, or ignore dangerous situations. Train him to not be careless.
  4. Instill -- Kids can have accidents anywhere, even while under your watchful eyes. But because kids seem to take more risks when you’re not around, it’s your job to make sure your child’s safety practices are fully ingrained.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...