How do I stay safe when swimming?

Here's how you can stay safe while swimming:
  • Swim with a buddy. Never swim alone.
  • Always swim where a lifeguard can see you and in areas that are marked for swimmers to use.
  • Don't push or jump on others. You can accidentally hurt someone or yourself.
  • Don't chew gum or eat while you swim -- you can choke.
  • Wear protective footwear if surfaces are rough or rocky.
  • Don't swim close to piers or any big, wooden structure that jut out into the water. If the water moves suddenly, you could hit a piling or a rock.
  • Face the waves instead of turning your back on them so you can see what's coming.
  • When you see or hear of a storm, immediately stop swimming or boating and get out of the water. Lightning is electricity and electricity and water are a dangerous, and often deadly, combination.
  • Don't swim in the dark.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How can I prevent pain while using a computer?
Working at a computer all day can cause eye, neck, and back problems. Find out how to avoid them as ...
How effective are seat belts?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Seat belts are by far the most effective protection against avoiding injury and even death in a car ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?