How can social media affect my child?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
The use of technology will not be the same for all children. Your child's choice will tend to reflect his or her personality. Social butterflies tend to be heavy texters and Facebook users. Children who are less social tend to gravitate toward online games and videos. With the powerful new cell phones that are available and the interactive experience that technology delivers, they can be constantly connected everywhere they go.

While our children are at school, they are gathering in clusters, often half-engaged in conversations while texting someone across the way, watching a video, listening to music, or updating Facebook. When it comes to social media and our children, one thing's for sure. Monitoring the use of social media is difficult, but the unchecked use of their powerful technology can create a culture in which children are addicted to, at risk, and lost in a digital world.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
What are the most common summer injuries?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
The injuries that orthopedic practices see in the summer are usually related to being outside. The w...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?