How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?

Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, camping, or skiing. Do not leave areas of the skin exposed to the cold. Avoid perspiring or becoming overtired. Be prepared to take emergency shelter. Pack dry clothing, a two-wave radio, waterproof matches and paraffin fire starters with you. Do not use alcohol and other mood altering substances, and avoid caffeinated beverages. Avoid walking on ice or getting wet. Carefully watch for signs of cold-weather health problems.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Sepsis and Electric Scooters: Growing Health Concerns
Q: I hear that sepsis is an ever-increasing problem in nursing homes. We have just recently put my mom into a care facility. Do we need to be concerne...
Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?
Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that ...
How can I keep my child safe at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To keep your child safe at home, follow these guidelines: Install gates at top and bottom of stai...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?