How can I reduce the risk for my teen using a cell phone while driving?

There are many ways to reduce teen mobile phone use when driving. Examples include talking with your teen about the dangers of texting and driving, setting a good example by not using the phone when you drive and using phone apps to monitor a teen's phone use in a moving car.
Cell phone use is among the leading distractions for teen drivers. You can promote better safety on the road by providing tips regarding the use of cell phones when driving.

Text messaging is a particular concern because it requires manual, visual and cognitive attention. When your teen is on the road, you should encourage him or her to turn the phone off or at least silence the device and keep it out of view. There are also apps that can auto-respond to text messages when your teen is driving, eliminating the need to look at the phone in the moment.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...
What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?