How can I reduce the risk for playground injuries?

Playgrounds are important for helping children stay active and healthy, but they are also a source of injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 200,000 playground injuries occur every year in children under 14 years old. Reducing these injuries depends primarily on two things: proper supervision and proper playground equipment. Lowering the maximum fall height, reducing the likelihood of falls and providing a softer surface to fall on are all things that have been shown to reduce injuries on playgrounds. Unfortunately, much of the older equipment is not as safe as newer equipment. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
Fate is fate. But that doesn't mean you should accept any accident as karma's way of paying you back...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?