How can I reduce the risk for playground injuries?

Playgrounds are important for helping children stay active and healthy, but they are also a source of injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 200,000 playground injuries occur every year in children under 14 years old. Reducing these injuries depends primarily on two things: proper supervision and proper playground equipment. Lowering the maximum fall height, reducing the likelihood of falls and providing a softer surface to fall on are all things that have been shown to reduce injuries on playgrounds. Unfortunately, much of the older equipment is not as safe as newer equipment. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
What are the most common summer injuries?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
The injuries that orthopedic practices see in the summer are usually related to being outside. The w...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?