How can I reduce my exposure to arsenic in rice products?

If you regularly consume rice and rice products, consider these suggestions and alternatives:
  • To mimic the texture of rice, use whole oats and cook with less water and without stirring.
  • Try whole grains like quinoa, barley, and millet.
  • Drink hemp and almond milk rather than rice drinks.
  • Reduce arsenic in the rice you eat as an adult. Soaking the rice beforehand until it becomes clear and cooking it “pasta style,” with extra water in the rice pot (6 cups of water for every cup of rice) can remove 30% of arsenic.
  • Parents of children under five years should avoid feeding them rice milk or cereals.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Every year it seems like more hurricanes and tropical storms are hurdling towards Hawaii. Although there were no direct hits in 2018, the Central Paci...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?