How can I protect my wrists while snowboarding?

Prevalence of injuries in snowboarders is greater than skiers because the upper body is used to generate turning forces. If the athlete feels like she is going to fall, the normal reaction is to try to break the fall by putting the arms out. Thus the wrist becomes the most vulnerable site of injury as it absorbs the force from the fall. Wrist guards worn while snowboarding can greatly reduce the risk of wrist injuries by preventing forced wrist extension during a fall.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
How can I safely bring an animal into a school or daycare?
It is important to remember that animals can have germs on their bodies and in their habitats, even ...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?