How can I protect my wrists while snowboarding?

Prevalence of injuries in snowboarders is greater than skiers because the upper body is used to generate turning forces. If the athlete feels like she is going to fall, the normal reaction is to try to break the fall by putting the arms out. Thus the wrist becomes the most vulnerable site of injury as it absorbs the force from the fall. Wrist guards worn while snowboarding can greatly reduce the risk of wrist injuries by preventing forced wrist extension during a fall.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...