How can I protect my broken wrist during sports?

When making the decision about the best way to protect the wrist or hand from reinjury, you should consider the nature of the injury that occurred previously. There are several different types of braces and casts that can be used to protect a wrist. Braces can be bought at pharmacies and sporting goods stores or designed specifically for an athlete. Your doctor or athletic trainer will be able to give some guidance, but sports have different rules about the type of equipment that will be allowed in practice and competition, so such rules should be taken into consideration.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Sepsis and Electric Scooters: Growing Health Concerns
Q: I hear that sepsis is an ever-increasing problem in nursing homes. We have just recently put my mom into a care facility. Do we need to be concerne...
How can I prepare my car for winter?
You can avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead. Have maintenance service on y...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
What is stalking?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
Stalking is one type of intimate partner violence. It is very common for the victim to know his or h...