How can I prevent pain while using a computer?

If you’re at a computer all day, you’re at risk for repetitive motion injuries from constantly typing on the computer as you may develop wrist pain or develop pain in the shoulder because you’re moving the mouse back and forth. Believe it or not, if you’re experiencing shoulder pain, you can change out your mouse and get a track ball that only requires you to move your fingers. You can alleviate any wrist pain by having a wrist support made of gel so that you aren’t resting your wrist on something that’s too firm. I also recommend that office workers get up once an hour for about 10 minute to give their joints and eyes a little relief.

Bad ergonomics at the office—especially when using a computer—can definitely trigger or worsen back pain, neck pain, eye strain, carpal tunnel and more. Because everyone's body is different, creating an ergonomic workstation requires an individualized setup. To help prevent body pain, one rule that applies to all: Stand up and take a break at least once an hour. Beyond that, make sure the height of your desk, chair, monitor and keyboard allows you to keep your shoulders relaxed, your spine and wrists straight, your low back supported, and your feet flat on the ground.

Take the RealAge Test!

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Working at a computer all day can cause eye, neck, and back problems. Find out how to avoid them as Dr. Oz explains in this video.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?