How can I help prevent leg swelling during long airplane trips?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Developing mild swelling in the feet, ankles, and lower legs is common during long-haul flights. Sitting still is the culprit -- blood and fluid pool in the lower extremities because they aren't aided in their return to the heart by contractions of the leg muscles. When the swelling occurs in both legs, it is benign, though annoying (especially when it is difficult to put your shoes back on at the end of the flight). Swelling in one leg, however, may be worth further evaluation.

Wearing below-the-knee vascular compression stockings that exert a small amount of pressure (20 to 30 millimeters of mercury) can prevent or diminish the swelling. In-seat exercises, involving contraction of the calf muscles or wiggling the feet up and down in rapid repetition, may be helpful in promoting circulation from the legs.

The big worry on a long-haul flight is the development of a blood clot, also known as deep-vein thrombosis (DVT). Such a clot can cause long-lasting problems in the affected leg. And if the clot breaks away and lodges in an artery in the lungs (this is called pulmonary embolism), it can cause chest pain and breathing problems. A large embolism can cause sudden death.

The best way to prevent DVT is to stay well hydrated. Drink enough non-alcoholic beverages (water and Diet Coke are my two favorites) to require frequent trips to the toilet. Getting up to go to the lavatory also increases circulation in the lower legs and exercises the calf muscles. Alcohol, which dehydrates, should be limited or avoided entirely.

Some clinicians advocate taking aspirin or even an injection of low molecular weight heparin. This is usually unnecessary unless a person has had a DVT in the past. Check with your doctor before taking either of these steps.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?