How can I prevent my child from locking himself in the trunk?

Younger children have been known to climb into the driver’s side of a car, pop the trunk with the lever, hop out of the car, then climb into the trunk. Some are curious, while others are simply looking for a clever place to hide during a game of tag or hide-and-seek. This can be fatal. Children have died in car trunks when the temperature climbs and they become asphyxiated or hyperthermic.

Even on a relatively cool day, the temperature inside a parked car can quickly spike to life-threatening levels if the sun is out. Vehicles heat up rapidly, with the majority of the temperature rise occurring within the first 15 to 30 minutes.

A study of the deaths of children locked in trunks showed that in most cases the children had been missing for more than an hour. In some cases, children have found the keys to the car and opened the trunk, or they have unlatched the trunk manually.

Take these simple steps to prevent this tragedy:

1. Hide’em -- Keep car keys where children cannot get to them.
  2. Lock up -- Keep your car locked with the trunk closed, even when it’s parked at home.
  3. Keep watch -- Supervise your children closely.
  4. Attach a latch -- If your car does not have an interior trunk-release mechanism, contact your car’s dealer to get one retrofitted.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...