How can I prepare and cook poultry safely?

Following are tips on how to prepare and cook poultry safely:
  • Do not wash it before you use it. That's potentially unsafe, because contaminated water may splash and spread bacteria to other nearby foods, utensils and kitchen surfaces. Another word for this: cross-contamination. Cooking to the right temperature is enough to destroy any bacteria.
  • Do wash your hands with warm soapy water for 20 seconds after handling raw poultry. Likewise, wash utensils, cutting boards, dishes and countertops with hot soapy water (or a freshly made solution of 1 tablespoon of unscented, liquid chlorine bleach dissolved in 1 gallon of water) after preparing each food item and before preparing the next item.
  • Do not store with other foods in your shopping cart. Make sure you separate food items. Same goes for storing poultry in your refrigerator.
  • Do use separate cutting boards for fresh produce and raw poultry. Same goes for plates; never place cooked food on the same plate that held raw poultry.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
Is it okay to flush medications down the toilet?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website maintains a list of some of the medications ...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...