How popular is Facebook among teens?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
Facebook has become the "must-have" social networking hotspot that most pre-teens yearn for, teenagers live by, and many adults love. Take a look at how much time teens spend on Facebook:
  • 91 percent of teenagers have profiles on Facebook that contain all of their personal information.
  • 54 percent of thirteen- to fourteen-year-olds have a Facebook page.
  • Fifteen- to seventeen-year-olds spend 19.9 hours a week online.
So when you hear, "Mom, can I have a Facebook account?" you shouldn't be shocked. Some parents struggle with the answer, especially when it comes to their eleven- or twelve-year-old child who can't wait to set up their profile, "friend" their friends, post their favorite pictures, and update their status.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
How can I keep my steps and walkways free of ice during winter?
Walking on ice is extremely dangerous. Many cold-weather injuries result from falls on ice-covered s...
Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?