How often do teens use social networking Web sites?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
According to a survey from a sampling of US teens between thirteen and seventeen years old, teens typically spend two hours a day on the Internet.

On average, 80 percent of that time is spent on a social network -- and you guessed it, Facebook is the social network of choice. Are you wondering if Facebook is the new MySpace? Absolutely! With fifty million teenagers (and growing) between the ages of thirteen and seventeen actively accessing their Facebook profile versus MySpace's sixteen million active users (and declining), Facebook is by far the number-one social network preferred by teenagers.

The following are statistics on teenage social networking:
  • 90 percent of teens have a profile on a social networking site.
  • 73 percent of teens play games on social networking sites.
  • 69 percent of teens have a Facebook account.
  • 64 percent of teens have a profile on YouTube.
  • 41 percent of teens have a profile on MySpace.
  • 43 percent of teens spend money on social networking sites (usually playing games).
  • 49 percent of teens reported that they have an allowance to spend money online.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Consumer Alert: Hoverboards Send Dozens to the ER
    While hoverboards were one of 2015’s most sought-after gifts, consumer safety experts are warning parents that the two-wheeled, motorized skateboards ...
    What devices can help older people get in and out of a vehicle?
    Mercy HealthMercy Health
    When it comes to the turning motion needed to get in and out of a vehicle, there are several devices...
    What steps can I take to prevent accidents?
    Scripps HealthScripps Health
    Accidents, such as falls, sports injuries, fires and car accidents, are a leading cause of death. In...
    Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
    Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?