How do I make sure my helmet is safe?

Make sure the helmet is in good working condition, with no cracks or anything hanging off it. Look for a sticker approving the helmet for sports from the National Operating Committee for Sports Equipment (NOCSAE) on the back of the helmet.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
 Due to the litigious society that we live in, it is strongly recommended that everyone wear a helme...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?
Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, ...