How long can I safely keep food in the refrigerator?

Frances Largeman-Roth, RD
There are rules to live by when it comes to keeping food fresh in your refrigerator; type of food and fridge temperature are both important factors. In this video, registered dietician Frances Largeman-Roth explains some guidelines for the fridge.
Judy Caplan

Most items have expiration dates. Look at each item to determine its freshness. Leftovers should not be kept more than three days. Cook meat and poultry before they expire. Milk, cheese and yogurt also have expiration dates. Yogurt tends to keep for about ten days. Many cheeses can stay fresh for over a month. The key to keeping food safely refrigerated is to know what is in there. Leaving leftovers in containers without checking how long they have been there and then piling things on top takes up space and uses more energy to keep the refrigerator cold. Always check expiration dates before eating anything out of the refrigerator.

Clean out the fridge, throwing out food that is expired. Below is a list of how long certain foods should be stored in the refrigerator:
  • Fresh fish -- 1 to 2 days if stored on ice and wrapped tightly
  • Fresh poultry -- 1 to 2 days; 1 day if cut into pieces
  • Beef or Pork -- 3 to 5 days; if ground or chopped, use within 2 days
  • Cream, half-and-half -- 3 to 4 days
  • Luncheon meats -- 3 to 5 days after opening, 2 weeks if unopened
  • Milk -- 5 to 7 days after the sell-by date
  • Soft cheese -- 1 week, if stored in an airtight container (discard if mold develops)
  • Hot Dogs -- 7 days after sell-by date
  • Cream cheese -- 1 to 2 weeks
  • Butter -- 3 weeks if covered, 1 to 3 months unopened
  • Hard cheese -- 3 to 4 weeks opened (6 months unopened)
  • Eggs in the shell -- 3 to 5 weeks if purchased before the date on the carton

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Barbara Ficarra, RNBarbara Ficarra, RN
While adult bicyclists are not required by state law to wear helmets, young riders are required to w...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?