How long can I safely keep food in the refrigerator?

Judy Caplan

Most items have expiration dates. Look at each item to determine its freshness. Leftovers should not be kept more than three days. Cook meat and poultry before they expire. Milk, cheese and yogurt also have expiration dates. Yogurt tends to keep for about ten days. Many cheeses can stay fresh for over a month. The key to keeping food safely refrigerated is to know what is in there. Leaving leftovers in containers without checking how long they have been there and then piling things on top takes up space and uses more energy to keep the refrigerator cold. Always check expiration dates before eating anything out of the refrigerator.

Clean out the fridge, throwing out food that is expired. Below is a list of how long certain foods should be stored in the refrigerator:
  • Fresh fish -- 1 to 2 days if stored on ice and wrapped tightly
  • Fresh poultry -- 1 to 2 days; 1 day if cut into pieces
  • Beef or Pork -- 3 to 5 days; if ground or chopped, use within 2 days
  • Cream, half-and-half -- 3 to 4 days
  • Luncheon meats -- 3 to 5 days after opening, 2 weeks if unopened
  • Milk -- 5 to 7 days after the sell-by date
  • Soft cheese -- 1 week, if stored in an airtight container (discard if mold develops)
  • Hot Dogs -- 7 days after sell-by date
  • Cream cheese -- 1 to 2 weeks
  • Butter -- 3 weeks if covered, 1 to 3 months unopened
  • Hard cheese -- 3 to 4 weeks opened (6 months unopened)
  • Eggs in the shell -- 3 to 5 weeks if purchased before the date on the carton

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...