How do I keep food safe for a tailgate party?

Cold food should be kept cold, and hot food should be kept hot. Refrigerated foods should be kept in a cooler on ice if they will not be finished within a few hours of being opened. This especially goes for things like potato salad and anything with mayonnaise. Keeping food covered will also decrease the chances that germs will get on it -- for example, from flies. If there are finger foods, make sure everyone is washing their hands or using antibacterial hand sanitizer. Remember that sanitizer does not work if hands are visibly soiled.
Keep sports fans happy and healthy at a tailgate party with these food safety tips:
  • Defrost at home. Defrost meats at home in the refrigerator or in the microwave -- never at the tailgate. Raw meat juices can contaminate other foods.
  • Separate the raw from the ready-to-eat. Pack raw meat products sealed in plastic wrap in one cooler and all other foods in a different cooler. Bring two sets of plates and cooking utensils -- one set for handling raw foods and a second for cooked foods to avoid transferring bacteria.
  • Ice right. Keep foods cool by packing them with plenty of ice (enough to keep the temperature in your cooler below 40 degrees Fahrenheit).
  • Cook your burgers right. A meat thermometer is the only reliable way to ensure foods are safe to eat. Cook tailgating favorites like hamburgers and bratwursts to 160 degrees Fahrenheit and chicken breasts to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Never partially grill meat or poultry to finish cooking later.
  • Don't forget to pack moist towelettes or hand sanitizer to wash up before, during and after preparing your tailgate feast.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...