How far should spectators be from a playing field?

Each sport is different in nature, so the distance spectators should be from the area of play will vary by sport. People standing on the sideline should be able to move out of the way of a player should the player travel out of bounds (like in football), and athletes should have enough space to travel along the sidelines.

In gyms and pool settings, spectators typically have seating provided, so it is essential that bleachers and stands are moved far enough away from the field of play so that athletes will not run into them.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
What supplies should women pack when traveling abroad?
Traveling abroad can sometimes mean a new set of personal hygiene and health regulations, but until ...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...