How can I keep my family safe around water?

You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating devices, and learning how to swim. If the above is not attainable, avoid participating in water activities.

Dr. Miriam S. Buckberg, MD

To keep your family safe around water, keep these tips in mind before hitting the waves or the local pool this summer.

• Learn to swim. You don’t have to be an Olympic-level athlete to learn the basics of keeping afloat in water. Just six weeks of instruction can prevent a problem.
  • Wear a life vest. Even if you know how to swim, wear a life vest when boating. Some states require personal watercraft users and water-skiers to wear a life vest at all times.
  • Stay alert and sober. Many water accidents occur because of distractions. Avoid getting intoxicated when spending time near the water, and always supervise children closely in aquatic environments.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Do the Grandparents Know Current Child Safety Info?
You know that if your grandkids are coming to stay with you, you’ve got to do some preparation: Buy all their favorite foods (especially those ones to...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?
Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?