How can I keep my family safe around water?

Dr. Miriam S. Buckberg, MD

To keep your family safe around water, keep these tips in mind before hitting the waves or the local pool this summer.

• Learn to swim. You don’t have to be an Olympic-level athlete to learn the basics of keeping afloat in water. Just six weeks of instruction can prevent a problem.
  • Wear a life vest. Even if you know how to swim, wear a life vest when boating. Some states require personal watercraft users and water-skiers to wear a life vest at all times.
  • Stay alert and sober. Many water accidents occur because of distractions. Avoid getting intoxicated when spending time near the water, and always supervise children closely in aquatic environments.

You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating devices, and learning how to swim. If the above is not attainable, avoid participating in water activities.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Sepsis and Electric Scooters: Growing Health Concerns
Q: I hear that sepsis is an ever-increasing problem in nursing homes. We have just recently put my mom into a care facility. Do we need to be concerne...
Why is there resistance to wearing a safety helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Not wearing a safety helmet has become such a norm for many in the equine world.  Although, if quest...
How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?
Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?