How can exposure to arsenic affect my health?

Arsenic isn’t just for murder mysteries anymore. In fact, this toxin is lurking in your food and drinking water. If you eat enough of it, arsenic will kill you outright. In smaller amounts, arsenic can cause skin, bladder and lung cancer. Basically, bad news. Less well known: Arsenic messes with your hormones. Specifically, it can interfere with normal hormone functioning in the glucocorticoid system that regulates how our bodies process sugars and carbohydrates.

What does that mean for you? Well, disrupting the glucocorticoid system has been linked to weight gain/loss, protein wasting, immunosuppression, insulin resistance (which can lead to diabetes), osteoporosis, growth retardation and high blood pressure.

How to avoid it? Reduce your exposure by using a water filter that lowers arsenic levels.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
Who is the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI)?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is also an independent testing lab that tests and certifies pro...
How can I safely bring an animal into a school or daycare?
It is important to remember that animals can have germs on their bodies and in their habitats, even ...
How can I keep my family safe around water?
You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating device...