How can I ensure heart safety for my child when he plays sports?

Before your child attends the first practice, talk to the coach. Ask if everyone on the coaching staff has been trained in CPR and on how to use an automatic external defibrillator (AED). An AED is a portable device that checks heart rhythm and, if there is a problem, can send an electric shock to the heart to try to restore a normal rhythm.

Ask if the school and practice facilities have AEDs that are easily available. Many lives have been saved because an AED is available and bystanders know how to use them. That’s why you should confirm that an AED will be nearby (and always fully charged) whenever kids are practicing and competing.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Who is the ASTM in regards to equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) is a volunteer organization that sets the stan...
What are some summer safety tips?
Summer safety will depend on what region you live in, but a few good rules of thumb are sunscreen, h...
How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?
Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, ...
How does milk get contaminated?
Milk contamination can occur in many different ways. Some ways include: Cow feces coming into dir...