How can employers prevent heat-related illnesses among their workers?

Employers should check on employees working in hot environments throughout their shift to make sure they are drinking enough liquids, getting enough rest and not showing signs of heat-related illnesses. Urge workers to take regularly scheduled rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned areas and provide them with water. An employee should drink about one cup of water every 15 to 20 minutes while performing moderate activities in moderately hot temperatures. Employers should regularly monitor the worksite temperature using the heat index and/or wet-bulb globe index. Employers should modify work schedules to reduce heat exposure when possible. All workers and managers should be trained to recognize signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses in employees and know what to do for basic first aid.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?