How can employers prevent heat-related illnesses among their workers?

Employers should check on employees working in hot environments throughout their shift to make sure they are drinking enough liquids, getting enough rest and not showing signs of heat-related illnesses. Urge workers to take regularly scheduled rest breaks in shaded or air-conditioned areas and provide them with water. An employee should drink about one cup of water every 15 to 20 minutes while performing moderate activities in moderately hot temperatures. Employers should regularly monitor the worksite temperature using the heat index and/or wet-bulb globe index. Employers should modify work schedules to reduce heat exposure when possible. All workers and managers should be trained to recognize signs and symptoms of heat-related illnesses in employees and know what to do for basic first aid.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?