How can employees adjust to working in hot environments?

Acclimatizing employees to hot environments requires following a plan:

• New workers, and workers returning from an absence of more than a week, should follow a schedule to gradually adjust to the hot conditions. Begin with 20% of the usual duration of work in the hot environment on the first day, increasing gradually by no more than 20% each day that follows.
  • Experienced workers should begin on the first day of work in excessive heat with 50% of the usual duration of work. They should work 60% on the second day, 80% on the third day and 100% on the fourth day.
  • Depending on individual or environmental factors, it might take up to 14 days or longer for an employee to become fully acclimatized.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
Here are some tips for preventing injuries from motor vehicle crashes: Always use seat belts, chi...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?