How can employees adjust to working in hot environments?

Acclimatizing employees to hot environments requires following a plan:

• New workers, and workers returning from an absence of more than a week, should follow a schedule to gradually adjust to the hot conditions. Begin with 20% of the usual duration of work in the hot environment on the first day, increasing gradually by no more than 20% each day that follows.
  • Experienced workers should begin on the first day of work in excessive heat with 50% of the usual duration of work. They should work 60% on the second day, 80% on the third day and 100% on the fourth day.
  • Depending on individual or environmental factors, it might take up to 14 days or longer for an employee to become fully acclimatized.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?