How do I prevent drowsy driving?

To prevent drowsy driving, do the following:

• Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving late at night.
  • Have some caffeine and then wait 30 minutes for it to take effect before driving.
  • Take a taxi or bus, or call home for a ride, instead of driving when you are tired.
  • Switch drivers if another alert driver is with you.
  • If sleepy, pull over in a safe place and take a 20-minute nap. Then, walk around to wake up before driving.
  • Don't drive after taking a medication that causes drowsiness, and never drink alcohol and drive!

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) website.

To prevent drowsy driving, first and foremost get good rest prior to starting out on any drive. If you feel drowsy while driving, pull over and take a nap.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to modern big surf competitions on Oahu’s North Shore, to daily enthusiasts rel...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
How effective are seat belts?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Seat belts are by far the most effective protection against avoiding injury and even death in a car ...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?