How do I prevent drowsy driving?

To prevent drowsy driving, do the following:

• Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving late at night.
  • Have some caffeine and then wait 30 minutes for it to take effect before driving.
  • Take a taxi or bus, or call home for a ride, instead of driving when you are tired.
  • Switch drivers if another alert driver is with you.
  • If sleepy, pull over in a safe place and take a 20-minute nap. Then, walk around to wake up before driving.
  • Don't drive after taking a medication that causes drowsiness, and never drink alcohol and drive!

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM) website.

To prevent drowsy driving, first and foremost get good rest prior to starting out on any drive. If you feel drowsy while driving, pull over and take a nap.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Driving while drowsy is very dangerous. Recent studies have shown that sleepiness while driving incr...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?