How should I create a safe bedroom for my baby?

Because of all the possible toxins the developing fetus or baby could be exposed to, avoid household renovations during pregnancy or when your child is an infant. As soon as you decide it’s time to start a family -- even before the baby has been conceived -- consider doing any renovations to the room that will become the baby’s room. To help you with your renovations, use this handy checklist to alert you to potential problem areas. (The check-list is in order of importance, starting with the things you should be most concerned about.)
  • Peeling or chipping paint
  • Dirty or dull paint on walls
  • Problems with insects or rodents
  • Wall-to-wall carpet
  • Dampness or mold
  • Worn wooden or vinyl floors
  • Windows that won’t open
  • Old wallpaper
  • Overstuffed furniture
  • Heavy curtains

Raising Healthy Children in a Toxic World

"101 Smart Solutions for Every Family... Allergens, Asbestos, Herbicides, ... Unsafe Foods..."

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Working Against Gun Violence
Working Against Gun Violence
There’s a ban on smoking in most bars and restaurants in the U.S.; in most cities, there’s a ban on spitting in public; and in many states dancing on ...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
Why is it important to help workers adjust to working in hot environments?
If you have a business where your employees work in a hot environment, make sure your workers drink ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?