How can I control my child's cell phone and Internet use?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
If there's one thing children are completely attached to and in their minds "can't live without," it's their cell phones. Parents everywhere have testified that restricting their teen's cell phone and Internet access works well as a consequence for inappropriate use.

Typically, parents don't take the phone away, as they still want to have the ability to contact their child. A great tool for limiting the bells and whistles that come with almost every cell phone is the parental controls feature that is available for a low monthly fee from your wireless provider. This allows you to choose what feature(s) you are going to restrict or take away, while still leaving the ability to make and receive calls intact.

The most important thing is to discuss the consequences for inappropriate or abusive cell phone or Internet use before you agree to purchase or upgrade their cell phone, pay for their monthly service, or allow access to the Internet. Be sure to set the usage rules, and then follow through with the consequences. One without the other is useless.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Why is it important for parents to be knowledgeable about equine safety?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Education about equine safety must be given to adults.  Parents usually are aware of the apparent ri...
What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
 Due to the litigious society that we live in, it is strongly recommended that everyone wear a helme...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?