How should I communicate on a dive with a visually-impaired adaptive diver?

When communicating with a visually-impaired diver on a dive, keep the following in mind:
  • Visual references: A visually-impaired individual’s references are based on visual experiences; therefore someone who is born blind will not have the same references of color, distance or depth of field that someone who has become blind subsequent to birth and had some period of experience with unimpaired vision.
  • Permission: As with any person who has a disability, the guide or buddy should ask him or her how they would like to be guided or how they would like to transfer from one point to another. Any encroachment of personal space (as in guiding, redirecting or transferring the individual, especially where touching is involved) should first be cleared with the individual with the disability so that everyone is on the same page and in agreement.
  • Hand placement: It is very important when you are diving with someone who is visually-impaired that you stay in tactile contact with that person. By doing so, the adaptive diver will feel secure that his or her buddy is close by and available for hand signal communications.
While diving, it is not uncommon for a visually-impaired diver to bring his or her left hand into contact with an item he or she is handling with the right hand -- even though that item may be hazardous to touch. It is important for you to communicate prior to the dive that when you bring the right hand (the control hand) in contact with an object that he or she not also bring the left hand over to feel the object, as it may not in fact be safe. You may be guiding the adaptive diver to a safe spot but he or she might accidentally touch something that isn’t safe.

Communication under water among divers is critical to a safe diving experience. When diving with a visually-impaired diver, the challenge of communicating clearly is heightened for both parties. The answer is a standardized system of tactile (touch) signals that have specific definitions. These tactile signals allow the adaptive dive buddy and the visually-impaired diver to convey to each other the information that must be communicated between divers.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...