How common is sick building syndrome?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
With 90 percent of time spent indoors, there is a good chance that indoor air pollution impacts your health, for the worse. In fact, if the building in which you live, work or study in is a sick building, it could very well be making you sick too. And you probably don’t even realize what is making you ill. A survey of 9,000 office workers in Europe found that 50 to 80 percent of them had symptoms typical of sick building syndrome. In the U.S. it is estimated that up to twenty-five million workers have building-related illness at any given time.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
How can I prevent injuries from falls?
Here are some tips on preventing injuries from falls: Use a soft landing surface on playgrounds (...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?