How common is sick building syndrome?

Leopold D. Galland, MD
With 90 percent of time spent indoors, there is a good chance that indoor air pollution impacts your health, for the worse. In fact, if the building in which you live, work or study in is a sick building, it could very well be making you sick too. And you probably don’t even realize what is making you ill. A survey of 9,000 office workers in Europe found that 50 to 80 percent of them had symptoms typical of sick building syndrome. In the U.S. it is estimated that up to twenty-five million workers have building-related illness at any given time.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Working Against Gun Violence
Working Against Gun Violence
There’s a ban on smoking in most bars and restaurants in the U.S.; in most cities, there’s a ban on spitting in public; and in many states dancing on ...
How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
Why is it important to have proper equipment in children's sports?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
Protective equipment, like helmets and shoulder pads, can help protect kids from injury during sport...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?