How common are injuries from fireworks?

Burns are a common injury from fireworks. In fact, they're more common that you would think. Yet, fireworks don't just cause burns. You can also have a blast injury if you're near fireworks when they explode.

In 2010, US hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 8,600 people for fireworks-related injuries. Children under 15 years old accounted for 40 percent of the estimated injuries.

Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine Specialist

It's important to be vigilant when it comes to fireworks displays. According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, each year, about 10,000 firework-related injuries are seen in emergency rooms (ERs) across the country, with half of those being kids.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
How can I safely bring an animal into a school or daycare?
It is important to remember that animals can have germs on their bodies and in their habitats, even ...
How can schools encourage students to report threats of violence?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
75 percent of teens contemplating suicide, homicide or a school shooting tell their plans to a p...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?