How should I choose a bicycle helmet for my child?

You know you've chosen the right helmet if:
  • It's snug. There's no slipping from side to side or front to back.
  • It's level. It fits square on top of the head, covering the top of the forehead, with the helmet's front edge two finger-widths above the eyebrows. It does not tilt in any direction.
  • It's stable. The chin strap keeps the helmet from rocking in any direction. The chin strap should be snug when your child opens his or her mouth. (One finger should fit between the chin and chin strap when the mouth is closed.)
  • It's certified. The helmet should be labeled on the inside as approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

Learning to take proper safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle, will protect kids for years to come.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?