How should I choose a bicycle helmet for my child?

You know you've chosen the right helmet if:
  • It's snug. There's no slipping from side to side or front to back.
  • It's level. It fits square on top of the head, covering the top of the forehead, with the helmet's front edge two finger-widths above the eyebrows. It does not tilt in any direction.
  • It's stable. The chin strap keeps the helmet from rocking in any direction. The chin strap should be snug when your child opens his or her mouth. (One finger should fit between the chin and chin strap when the mouth is closed.)
  • It's certified. The helmet should be labeled on the inside as approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

Learning to take proper safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle, will protect kids for years to come.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
How can I travel safely during winter?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?