How should I choose a bicycle helmet for my child?

RealAge
Administration
You know you've chosen the right helmet if:
  • It's snug. There's no slipping from side to side or front to back.
  • It's level. It fits square on top of the head, covering the top of the forehead, with the helmet's front edge two finger-widths above the eyebrows. It does not tilt in any direction.
  • It's stable. The chin strap keeps the helmet from rocking in any direction. The chin strap should be snug when your child opens his or her mouth. (One finger should fit between the chin and chin strap when the mouth is closed.)
  • It's certified. The helmet should be labeled on the inside as approved by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) or the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).

Learning to take proper safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle, will protect kids for years to come.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness