How can I keep my child safe around water in the house?

Water hazards are everywhere around the home, not just in the bathtub. Babies under age one often drown in toilets, buckets, and bathtubs. Each year about 50 infants in the United States drown after falling head-first into large buckets filled with water or other liquids that have been left unattended. It pains me to think of it. Empty and overturn water containers when you have finished using them, and keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed and toilet seats down.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to modern big surf competitions on Oahu’s North Shore, to daily enthusiasts rel...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?