How can I keep my child healthy and safe in summer?

The following tips can help you keep your children safe during summer:
  • Sun smart: Protect you and your child’s skin with SPF 30+ sunscreen and outerwear like hats and sunglasses. Drinking plenty of water prevents dehydration, too.
  • Bee careful: Insect repellent and citronella candles ward off pesky bugs that sting.
  • Buddy up: Use the buddy system when playing in the water. Always have adult supervision and use floaties if needed.
  • Stranger danger: Educate your children with tips such as defining what a “safe” stranger is (teachers, police officers and firefighters, for example) and to whom they can go for help.
  • Play nice: Encourage your kids to treat others with kindness and respect.
To keep your child happy and healthy during the summer, the most important factor is close supervision of all children at a level that is appropriate for their age. Children need to be reminded of safety rules, such as not crossing the street without an adult and looking both ways, no talking to strangers, wearing helmets and protective equipment and wearing seat belts. Kids should also be kept active, not inside watching TV and playing video games. Remember to apply sunscreen every two hours while out in the sun. Another important part of keeping kids healthy is keeping them on a healthy diet and eating schedule and avoiding junk foods over the course of the summer.
The warm months of summer are upon us and your kids are now spending more time playing outside. Here are several tips on how they can have fun and stay safe:
  • Choose organic or local fruits and veggies when you can.
  • Let the dandelions grow -- avoid pesticides on your lawn.
  • Don’t forget the “broad spectrum” sunscreen and a hat -- a little sun can go a long way.
  • Eat fish, choose wisely.
  • Look for PVC-free beach and pool toys.
As always, it is essential that your kids learn to keep their hands clean (with soap and warm water) in order to protect their health and reduce environmental exposures.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?
A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore,...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?