How could a child get a bite or a sting?

A bite or sting can occur in any environment that is either outdoors or has access to the outdoors. 

Insect bites can come from things that fly or crawl. Some people will react more severely to these bites. One will see increased redness, swelling, the area will feel warm to the touch and there may be some breathing concerns with a severe reaction. If this occurs, seek care as soon as possible. 

Animal bites can occur in any setting that has animals present. These bites need to be evaluated by your health care provider as soon as possible. 

A bite or sting is an injury that happens when bees, wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, fire ants or other insects place venom under the skin. Usually there is a local reaction to the bite or sting, which can be quite large and which may happen right away or during the next 12 hours. There can be two types of allergic reactions to a bite or sting:
  • Skin reactions
  • Reactions that cause breathing or blood pressure problems

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Protect Yourself Against Meningitis and Smoke Exposure
Q: My son is enrolled at a small college in Vermont and I heard that there was an outbreak of meningitis on East Coast college campuses. He’s had a lo...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Driving while drowsy is very dangerous. Recent studies have shown that sleepiness while driving incr...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?