How can I teach my child to fall safely during sports?

It may seem counter-intuitive to teach your child how to fall when the point of most sports it to remain upright. But falls do happen, especially when trying to learn a new sport, so your kids should be prepared for them. Help your child practice falling techniques that may reduce the chances of serious injury. Here are some tips:

• Crouch down if you feel yourself losing your balance, so you won’t have as far to fall.
  • Avoid the reflex to catch yourself with your hands when you fall. Instead, try to land on the fleshy parts of the body and roll.
  • Relax your body rather than stiffening up.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to modern big surf competitions on Oahu’s North Shore, to daily enthusiasts rel...
What are the benefits of acclimatizing people working in hot environments?
The benefits of acclimatization—helping employees adjust to working in hot environments—include phys...
How can I keep my family safe around water?
You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating device...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?