How can I teach my child to fall safely during sports?

It may seem counter-intuitive to teach your child how to fall when the point of most sports it to remain upright. But falls do happen, especially when trying to learn a new sport, so your kids should be prepared for them. Help your child practice falling techniques that may reduce the chances of serious injury. Here are some tips:

• Crouch down if you feel yourself losing your balance, so you won’t have as far to fall.
  • Avoid the reflex to catch yourself with your hands when you fall. Instead, try to land on the fleshy parts of the body and roll.
  • Relax your body rather than stiffening up.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

E. coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce (Again)
Another nationwide outbreak of E. coli infection has prompted recalls of more than 75,000 pounds of romaine lettuce and other salad mixes that contain...
Could I suffer health risks from eating in my car?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Food, Inc. exposed the many health dangers of the fast-food drive-thru, but a recent study has ident...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?