How can I teach my child to fall safely during sports?

It may seem counter-intuitive to teach your child how to fall when the point of most sports it to remain upright. But falls do happen, especially when trying to learn a new sport, so your kids should be prepared for them. Help your child practice falling techniques that may reduce the chances of serious injury. Here are some tips:

• Crouch down if you feel yourself losing your balance, so you won’t have as far to fall.
  • Avoid the reflex to catch yourself with your hands when you fall. Instead, try to land on the fleshy parts of the body and roll.
  • Relax your body rather than stiffening up.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What signs indicate that I should not be driving?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Signs indicating that you should not be driving include those listed in the following checklist, cre...
Why is it important for children to sit in the back seat of a car?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
It is important for children to sit in the back seat of a car rather than the front seat because air...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?